Friday, February 18, 2005

Creative Writing

I'm enrolled in a Creative Writing class in one of the local universities, and even though I thought it was a good idea, the truth is that I'm kind of disappointed.

The group is small, maybe just 9 people all together and they're nice. But the group is too homogeneous to really write whatever the hell you want, I mean, there's only women, most of them middle age, 99% of them married and the only thing they write about is married life, children, the garden and that kind of stuff. Ther writings are boring, some are good, no doubt about it, but clearly boring. Beside I being the only "young male" in the group, well, I have to put up with all this "girl talk" that eats up more than half the class (I mean, they talk about their children and how great they are, and their shoes, and how nice earrings you have and where you found them ans o on which is cool, but we're in a class, with limited time, we're not having a cup of coffee with cookies on a Sunday afternoon where we have all the time in the world to talk. I want to have fun, but most of all I want to accomplish things).

Few months back I took another class on creative writing at the local community college and it was much better. The group was very diverse, young as well as grown ups and there was more freedom to write about whatever the hell you wanted to. You could use words like fuck and shit and no one would rise their eyebrows.

Yesterday I read out loud "Pink Shirt, Pink Earrings" and the comments that I got where pathetic; judgmental most of them on why men put so much emphasis on the physical part of a woman, and even one of this "ladies" told me that "man look better than what they think". And even though what we try to do is to make sure that our writings are clear in the sense of the message you want to communicate, or the sittings, descriptions, dialogs and so on, last night they try to re-write my piece on how they would've written it. In other words, that piece was about a young man describing a beautiful young girl, and they wanted me to sanitize it to a point that it looked more like if it was written by middle age woman, to other middle age woman.

I didn't say anything about even though I found it extremely rude, specially the comment about man. And I didn't say anything because once I open my mouth, my sarcastic self will hit the roof and wouldn't stop until I start hearing I'm sorrys, seeing red faces and perhaps a tear. So I just kept it cool, and pretended I was taking notes.

As I just said, what I wanted to communicate with that piece is that I've just met a beautiful girl, and that it was beautiful to my eyes. They saw from the point of view that man are shallow and look only and the physical part. I do believe the physical part is very important, and being a man I also know that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and you cannot have exterior beauty without inner beauty -and viceversa.

I guess next time I'll just have to write about family, the weather, and perhaps children in general so that they would feel fine; or I might just write a very steamy piece, like this one or this one and read it aloud to really stir the pot and to really give them reasons to complain about my writings. One thing that I love to do is to stir the pot, and God knows it, but when my sarcastic self gets that wooden spoon and starts stirring things, one thing is for sure: the shit will it the fan and I won't spare no body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home