Sunday, January 16, 2005

Wish (3)

~Make sure you've already read Wish (1) and Wish (2)~


The more thirsty you're... the closer the waterA magic lamp lying in the beach, half buried in the sand. I always thought that these lamps existed only in the dessert, only in the imagination of the One Thousand and One Nights, where caravans will walk day and night across dunes of sand, where oasis will start looming on the horizon as the thirst gets from your tongue to your brain. Oasis with palm trees, bushes, tents, shadows and water, sweet water. Where bandits will pop up out of the ground carrying swords as big as their horses, stealing precious gems and princesses sent on their way somewhere by their king father far away from their not-so-noble lovers and with hundreds of pounds of jewelry, and not so much water.

Those magic lamps where always found either at night, or at a time of the day when the twilight made the Genius inside glow. Never was a lamp found in the mid-day sun, was never found by a girl, let a alone an old folk. It was always found by a young man, full of life and with perfect smile. Geniuses were always kind of cool, willing to please their new found masters with whatever they wanted, always had three options to get it right -meaning three wishes-, and of course they always got it right: lived happily ever after the encounter, changing diapers, watching their once dream princess turn into an overweight and old queen, giving orders to all their servants on how to conduct daily tasks, banging all those girls that happen to be in the vicinity, rising those selfish, fucked up blue-blood brats they spawned and spoiled with all types of candies as long as they don't horse play around, living in a 1,000-room castle where every room is the size of a modern day city block, looking outside the window on those clear sky nights and longing of the days when he was young, broke and restless. Those pre-wishes days. Those days that witness the more needs and shortages, though the most intense and happy times in his whole "happily ever after life".

A jewel...?But the lamp is here in the beach, yes there's sand on the beach as in those stories, but running water is not a mirage, bottled water can be found in the gas station just down the street, or a water fountains are located every few yards along the beach. Sodas, juices and energetic drinks of all sizes, colors and flavors are to be found everywhere in the city. As well as two dollars cups of coffee and $3,80 frappucinos with skim milk - not including taxes and tips.

I ain't chasing any princess right now and other than my Casio digital watch I don't have any other jewels on me that could attract bandits. I'm not even part of a caravan, as a matter of fact I'm just walking down the beach at sunset because I don't enjoy laying on the beach for hours getting sun burned -a tan for me is like those mirages in the books; Many times I thought I had found them, only to end up with blisters and a reddish color not sexy at all.

The lamp is in my hands and the vodka is revolving at full speed in my head. I've been like that for quite a while, still not knowing what to do, not even sure if I've been thinking at all, let alone think what I should do. I'm just there, letting my brain cells have a party and perhaps a day off before I call'em back to work. Thinking is not an easy thing my friends, let me tell you, not even for this red-haired guy with an MBA under his arm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home