Friday, April 07, 2006

On The Law of Gravity

I know that there's quite a few things that are not working quite all right with me, both physically and mentally, but at least I'm aware of it, and aware that there's some very important things in life that I have crystal clear [as a side note I just want to point out that a visit to the doctor's confirmed that, thanks God, there's nothing wrong with that].

Inspired by me red-delicious-girlfriend!Sometimes after work I hang out around the water cooler with some of my co-workers, some of them have to work longer than I have to some days and the other way around. We just chit chat, exchange little stories on this and that, and that kind of stuff. It's just about five minutes or so while I wait for everybody to exit the parking lot like if the building was gona blow up or like if it was 5PM. Today a Lady asked me that what had happened to me, that it's been ages since the last time I hung out with them after work. I mention to her that my girlfriend was in town last week, so everyday I was just counting the minutes to go and see her, therefore I wasn't able to stop and say hi. She must've overheard a conversation before and asked me something about going to visit her to another State in previous occasions, a fact that I confirmed and added that I hope there'd be more frequent trips in the near future.

She smile and gave me the "aww, that's so sweet"; and by instinct I told her that when you have a girlfriend, you have to take care of her. Up until this point everything was fine, there was nothing new under the sun and it was just a regular five-minute chit chat before heading for the parking lot, my little red car, the highway, a couple of exits and intersections followed by some traffics lights, and finally the peacefulness and quietness of my place. And an afternoon nap.

But right after I made that comment, this woman looked at me wide-eyed, her eye brows raised, and with her mouth open like if she was about to have her window teeth extracted said: "WOW!". The look in her eyes was the equivalent of having discovered to her the law of gravity: something so simple, obvious, and that is all around us, but that at the same time is something that no one ever thought about it.
She asked me other questions about me and *the one*, that I of course dodge at the best of my abilities, giving her the very clear and polite idea that it's not her fucking business.

Once in my car and while speeding north towards The Queen City, I thought what was really the big deal about that little line. For me it's so obvious and so true that it comes as a reflex. If in The Law of Gravity everything that goes up will come back down; then in The Law of Relationships if you have a girlfriend you have to take care of her, or someone else will. And The Law of Relationships is not jus for a girlfriend, but also for a boyfriend, friends, family and people that one cares about and wants to keep close; those are the people one wants to keep showing, in many ways, that one cares about them. Not just with pink cards and tired lines, but with your very own actions more than anything. Ok, also with pink cards and tired lines if that's the way you think it should be, but either you have to do it. I mean there's no other fucking way, is there?

I understand that there's different type of relationships and different levels of commitment and stuff like that; there's also different moments in life and definitely different levels of hormones going through one's body; and at certain moments in life there's also different priorities, behaviors and attitudes relationships-wise. One size doesn't fit all. But whatever point in your life you're at, you do have to keep hooking up the people you care about, otherwise they may not be around for long. I just feel that I'm lloviendo sobre mojado and writing about the shallowest shit ever, but why something that is so obvious in my universe, doesn't appear to be that way in other people's eyes? I spoke to my friend C about it, and she told me that she feels the same way I do, and she even came up with a line very close to the one I used with my co-worker that encapsulates that very same idea I expressed. I fully understand that there's a lot of very good explanations for my friend C and me coming up with the same attitude and behavior towards relationships, but it doesn't explain why that idea isn't universal. I mean, isn't it bloody obvious and crystal clear that if you don't take care of your girlfriend/boyfriend, someone else would end up doing it?

In any case, after I gave it a thought for a few miles and once I was stuck in traffic in one of the exits, I decided to make a little phone call to put into practice those very same words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home