Thursday, February 09, 2006

Parmesan Cheese

If it's cheese, it has to be Parmesan cheese. That's the best cheese there's on this planet; I love it, and I'll choose it over any other cheese out there. Don't quite know when my love affair with it started, but I know when it became an obsession: when I moved to the US. There's isn't a specific o particular reason for it happening on the Northern Hemisphere instead of the Torrid Zone, but my taste for it grew in this land.


Mamma mia!!!!!
It started little by little, and little by little it grew until it got out of control. First was just a little bit on a plate of pasta, and as I like pasta so much, it was therefore quite a few times a week. But then the amount that was going on top of my pasta started to grow, and grow and grow. It became unhealthy-obsessive when I was eating what a friend of mine described as a "plate of Parmesan cheese with a splash of pasta in it". From that point on I began to scale it down to more rational proportions.

Parmesan cheese has to be shredded though, grated I could use it too, but shredded does the trick for me. When I'm cooking I usually stick my fingers in the bag and eat a little bit of it. Back in the days I used to stick all FIVE fingers to get the cheese and stuff my face with it. Today I only use two, and I'm pretty decent at it.

I like all women out there; I'm what you could call "an equal opportunity employer". But just as I prefer shredded Parmesan over grated, I also prefer blondes over other hair colors. And even though I'm also attracted to red heads, I've found that those *in between* top my list today.

But back to cheese, before I say something cheesy.

Last weekend with the landlord and the burgers, it wasn't Parmesan cheese. It was American, because it's the easiest and cheapest to find and get at the grocery store. But a real cheeseburger has to come with melted cheddar on top. And a lot of it. With a glass of red wine, Swiss cheese will be my choice. White wine I drink it straight, no cheese no crackers no nothing: I just gulp it down. Red wine has this romantic connotation to me, just like Autumn; but not white wine. Oh, and the Swiss cheese has to be diced in good size cubes.
With a club sandwich, it can be whatever you want to give me, but I'd prefer Pepper Jack. Not that I could feel any difference mixed with everything, but the brain is a very powerful tool. If I have to choose a cheese to eat straight, with nothing else than a glass of water, I'll go for fresh mozzarella. I could eat a pound of it.

For dinner I'll go for baked Brie with brandied fruits. So delicious! I had that for dinner/supper a couple nights ago. Delicious.

At the peak of my obsession with Parmesan cheese, I had a very good idea: not to buy the cheese already shredded which could be so easily eaten, but to buy a whole piece of Parmesan cheese and a kitchen tool to shred it myself. The cheese is hard so I deduced that all that extra work will auto-regulate my consumption of it. That was actually a very good idea. . . that went really bad. I just want to mention that I cut my fingers trying to shred that piece with the kitchen tool.

Ok, and I also diced it and ate it like if it was Swiss cheese!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home