Friday, January 27, 2006

On Liver and other Demon

There's many things that I don't like about life in general, and daily life in particular. But I'm not very font of listing stuff, so that will have to wait for some other time.

Having said that though, I can point out two things that I don't just dislike, put plainly make my blood boil.

One of them is liver. I could eat a piece of cardboard box if it sits on a plate and I'm hungry; and I could even eat anything that has four legs in this planet excluding chairs and tables; but it's just impossible for me to stick a piece of liver in my mouth, chew it and swallow it. The only thought of its texture in my mouth makes me cringe, and even though I once tried to eat it like if it was an aspirin (put it in your mouth and swallow it with a glass of water), it didn't work.

So liver itself I dislike it; what makes my blood boil about it, is people that after having been told in a very polite way about my little appreciation for liver, still have the short-circuited balls to say that I should try it because it was cooked with _____ (fill in the blank with whatever product you want) so that I should like it. Is like people sometimes think that just because they cooked, then it tastes delicious.

The good side of this, is that that poison is not a very popular meal and is not served very often. And as a matter of fact I can't remember the last time I was face to face with a fillet of that stuff, but I still keep on my mind a couple of previous encounters with such a devilish meal.

But in any case I wasn't planning in talking about liver tonight. . . I just got carried away. What I want to do is to link this very little story that appeared on the BBC about the other thing that I hate with my body, soul, brain and heart: fucking cigarettes!

California has classified second-hand tobacco smoke as a toxic air pollutant, putting it in the same category as diesel exhaust. It will eventually lead to tougher regulations.

You just gotta love California.

On the other side of the country, on the South Eastern, and more particularly in good-old North Carolina, lawmakers are still holding the line allowing people to smoke everywhere they feel like doing it (some restrictions apply of course, but those restrictions are thanks to Federal Regulations than to our very own lawmakers). Last year someone proposed to ban smoking in bars and clubs, and people here (even non-smokers!!!) said that it was gona bankrupt every single restaurant and club in town and that it was just impossible to enforce it, and that it will end up hurting the economy.

Well they were right, but they pointed their arguments to the wrong industry. They should've said that it will hurt HOSPITALS and the whole Health Care industry instead of burger joints, sleazy salsa dancing discotecas and upscale pubs (that is called The Hospitality Industry, but in this geographic area of the country is anything but hospital to non-smokers, and could even send you to the hospital! All puns intended here).

As one of my professors in college told me: "el subdesarrollo es una condiciĆ³n mental", and no wonder why everybody looks and talks about the South as being populated by fucking primates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home