Sunday, December 04, 2005

Lil' Sis' Bday

Today is my younger sister's Happy Birthday. She's turning 25, or is it maybe 24. . . or maybe she's already 26! Whatever number the fact is that today is her day, and I've just hung up after talking to her.

Every year we have the same chat: she asks me that I should go and check with the post office because she hasn't received anything from me, or I ask her first if she'd received a huge package from me. Then the conversation goes on, her saying that I better go and check to the post office, and I complaining about the postal companies that mysteriously "always" lose her present. We always go back and forth for almost ten minutes with the same conversation, even though is widely known that I never send her anything. I know, I'm such a bad brother. But the rational for that is that if I send a gift to one of my family members, then everybody will want something and they'll even be demanding to get this or that! [Believe me, I know what I'm talking about on this one]. So as cheap as I may sound, and after a couple of years of non-stop complaining, they learnt that from me they can expect nothing more than a phone call. Because seriously, what a better gift than a phone call from me, ah?

She has had a boyfriend for the last nine years. Let that sink for a moment. Nine years. That's longer than any marriage of my already divorced friends, or for that matter that's longer than all my friend's failed marriages combined. Her boyfriend is a nice dude, I like him. When the Playstation 2 came out she was here in the US and she bought it; I remember her telling me the story of standing in line and sprinting down the aisle in order to get one. She got it mainly for her boyfriend who loves video games. Today she told me that he had a chip installed in the PS2 that allows him to play copied [burn] games on his console [you can't do that on a regular PS2]. He buys each game for the equivalent of three bucks [as in $3], and needless to say have a stock of games that go from the floor all the way to the ceiling.

Today, when we remembered the time that she brought it South America [that might have been one of the first PS2 down there] she asked me to keep my eyes open for the PS3, as she would certainly get it for her man. Sounds good to me, I can buy it, use it, and eventually will ship it to them -if it doesn't get lost in the mail as all her presents mysteriously do.

She also told me that she went on a shopping spree today that left her poor boyfriend an inch closer to personal bankruptcy, as if she's good at something, that would be shopping. Last time I saw her was in NYC two years ago and I even had to get upset with her because all she wanted to do was to shop for stuff. And we couldn't be on more opposite sides on that issue because there's just so much to do in NYC [or for that matter everywhere!] than to go into a store.

So today was her big Birthday and she got perhaps the best present there's out there: a phone call from me!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home