Monday, November 14, 2005

Subscriptions

I'm subscribed to three publications: One is The Economist, of which I've been a subscriber since '99 and that has been taking my few greens as that shit is expensive as hell; even the introductory offer is so high priced relative to other publications!. But I've managed to be a "new subscriber" more than I can remember, saving quite a few bucks in the process. Hey, at least I don't use my criminal mind to rob banks, or steal from my company, or shit like that: I just don't answer more than I've been asked, when it comes to my subscription, that is.

The other subscription I have is to Time magazine. I wasn't planning in getting one, because I usually read it for free at the local bookstore and because I can't find much juice in its pages. But one sunny afternoon I was invited to a cookout with my brand new family in law and one of their kids corner me to buy a subscription for some sort of fundraising in his elementary school. Anyway that was only fifteen bucks for a whole year's supply! Don't tell me it wasn't a sweet deal?! [even though you can't clean windows with it, still it was cheap].

Yes, I read the articles in itAnd the third subscription I have is to FHM [For Him Magazine]. The introductory offer was like less than a buck per magazine, and the renewal was almost the same price plus it was a "buy one get two" deal; being the good friend that I am, I gave my friend Stephan the other copy [don't know how please his wife would be though]. And certainly I would've pay more for that magazine as it's perhaps one of the funniest things I've ever came across with. It has the kind of humor that is sarcastic and well planned, and not those typical and so fucking obvious jokes with laughs in the background that are poisoning our children's minds these days.

FHM has beautiful woman splashed all over its pages, not naked but with small pieces of garment on them. And if the human body is the most amazing creation [or evolution] ever, the female body is the closest thing to perfection on the whole universe. Besides all that beauty, the articles and letters and notes and columns and comments and reviews are filled with a delightful and smart blanket of sarcasm that cracks me up. The old joke says that people buy Playboy Magazine for the articles, not the girls; and in this case I'd say that I started my subscription for the girls, and end up enjoying the articles as much as the beauty in its pages. And the publication has so many clever sections intended to encourage people to write to them and to participate in the publication, that it surprises me that other more serious publications hasn't picked it up yet.

Wrapping up I'd just like to say that if one day you're at your local bookstore, go ahead and pick it up, look through its pages and READ some of the stuff in there, you won't be disappointed. Check out "From the Boss's Desk" or Captain Ka-Ching", or "Letters from our Readers". Hilarious stuff.

It would be sad to think that after this little paragraphs you still think that men on this planet are shallow, and that they "see better than they think" as one lady once told me [bitch!]. I tried my best to explain why I have a subscription to FHM and why I renew it. Hope I didn't fail miserable. But if I did, just keep in mind that I have a brand new subscription for a whole year and no one is going to take it away from me!

2 Comments:

Blogger la flaquita kindly said...

haven't ever heard of FHM but you make a strong case for the intellectual side of it. i think men's magazines are a bit more interesting sometimes than women's - have you ever read cosmopolitan? i do not read it because it's the same stuff regurgitated eight million different ways under various headlines - i feel stupid after reading.

Mon Nov 14, 06:07:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jean-Francois kindly said...

thanx for the message miss e. I have two sisters, so I've checked quite a few of those magazines, and even though it was interesting back in my early days, now I have my hands full with FHM!

Mon Nov 14, 10:49:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home