Sunday, November 27, 2005

Impulsive

Today I had one of those great ideas that I so often come up with: to go Shopping!

Looks like a joke? Look again...I thought that after two days of the most hardcore shoppers hitting every single possible mall and store in town, only the lay back people like me would show up today. I also thought that by today, most of this Southerners would have seen their savings and credit lines tremendously reduced, therefore there would be less people ripping stuff from each other's hands. And I also thought that by today, most of the things that I could've bought were gona be gone, therefore I'd get upset but I would end up not buying anything -and actually saving money by not spending it.
And I also came to the conclusion that as I am young, handsome, healthy, wealthy, and with nothing else to do, why not go and check out what gReAT hOt deals are still left out there for me.

I was surprised but at the same time I wasn't surprised with the amount of souls out there still engaged in power shopping. And I was right to think that stuff for me was long gone. But anyway I manage to buy my underwear [buy one get the other with 50% off], even though the savings from that transaction were used and abused by my impulsive purchase of two super cool sweaters [again, buy one get the other 50% off]. And later on and few stores down the hall, another impulsive purchase set me back around twenty greens when I got me an awesome pair of pants that were like "taylor made" for moi.

And those transactions had me thinking for a while [giving me a headache], and I realized that ever since I set foot in the US I've been shrinking. . . yeah, like when you put something in the dryer that should have not be putted there and it gets like three sizes smaller. In South America all my tee shirts, sweaters, shirts, pullovers, jackets, etc. were size Large; but now I'm Medium and more often than not Small. Likewise, my pants, trousers, shorts, cargos, etc. all carried the number 32 attached to the waist, but now I'm 30. And the odd thing is that I haven't gained nor lost a single pound ever since I came over here [I've been losing my hair, but I don't think there's a relationship with my garments].

Hmmm something fishy is happening. Maybe as people's asses have been getting wider and wider, sizes have been stretched well beyond their original measures and limits in order to give the impression that that extra bacon cheeseburger with an extra large order of French fries and a humangus size soda, have had no effect whatsoever in everybody's asses. In other words, retailers are not selling clothes anymore, they are selling frikking dreams.

2 Comments:

Blogger la flaquita kindly said...

exactly. when i look at the tags on the clothes i bought at a certain international chain in buenos aires, it would say: UK medium; IT medium; US small

yeah we're a bunch of fatasses. except for me. even since i was fifteen i have noticed myself "shrinking." i used to wear a 4 in pants at a certain store, but now i don't shop there anymore because their clothes are crap and their zero doesn't even fit me. maybe if they started telling people the truth about their size, they would be inspired to lose weight until attaining a healthier size.

Sun Nov 27, 05:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jean-Francois kindly said...

Hell yeah! I thought for a moment that I was "seeing things", but sizes have been altered! Maybe in few years, if I don't grow a belly, I'll have to look for stuff at the kids section!
I guess we're part of a decreasing "Thin Minority", to put it in your words... How do you like the cartoon that I found? Goes well w/the post, doesn't it?

Sun Nov 27, 10:40:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home