Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Mother of All Spams

I got an e-mail in the account that I use for this blog with the good news that I've just won a "lump sum pay out of One Million Nine Hundred And Fifty Thousand United States Dollars (USD$1,950,000.00) in cash" (?!!).

This is the first time ever in my life that I win something, and I didn't even buy a ticket for it! Can you believe my good luck? Neither do I. According to the message, there was a random selection of e-mail addresses around the world, 2,50,000 to be more precise, and I won all that money in some sort of category.

There's quite a few instruction on how to begin my claim and some phone numbers, an e-mail address, a fax number and even a name, actually two names: the name of a claim agent and a Mrs. Whatever who is the Publicity Manager of that company. This thing must be true then!

But I just can't believe that people fall for this stuff; because there's plenty of hot blooded individuals who have skipped a heart beat after reading this e-mail thinking that they don't have to go to work tomorrow, that they're rich now. And even more dangerous than that are those who say: "well, I don't have anything to lose so I'm just gona give it a try". You just can't imagine how much you can lose by calling, giving your "winning code" and even disclosing your identity and God knows what else. Is not just that your bank account account could be filled with numbers, red numbers, like in negative numbers; but those spamers breath thanks to people who reply to their messages.

Spam can be easily deleted and forgotten, and I get one of those every once in a while in this account, no big deal. But what makes me mad is that when I opened my account, I saw that I had one new message in my inbox and I thought that someone, a real human being, had taken the time to write to me regarding my blog! I even thought for a second that it could have been a cute girl sending some kind words and some luv to light my path. . .

But it turned out to be a message saying that I am now a millionaire. What a bummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home