Wednesday, October 05, 2005

D I N N E R

Nothing like a nice dinner with plenty of wine and a ton of stories about the people and the city where you grew up in. I just came back from Rose-Marie's, a friend of my mom and a super cool woman who always "keeps me in her prayers" -and who really knows how to cook and entertain guests.

I can and would eat anything but liver *ugh*There was her husband, her cute (but married) daughter, a very nice couple visiting from Miami (she's from my home town, he's from MEX), my cousin's fiance and of course my useless cousin. Her ultra-conservative son in law was working and couldn't make it. I don't want to be rude but my cousin is a shit head, I had to bury my eyes in the salmon a couple of times after some of his comments and I was like "dude, either follow the conversation or stuff your face with food". But he did neither one.

My cousin is getting married in November and a big chunk of his family is coming to town for the event. My parents and his parents are very close and very good friends, and I get alone very well with his brother, but not with this particular specimen. I guess if he could learn some good manners on the table, I would be able to digest him. But talking with a mouth full on the table and saying stupid things with no beginning and no end, no punch lines and no co-ordination whatsoever really takes me back several years when I seriously thought that I was adopted and not really part of the family. See, I have red hair but my parents don't, neither my sisters; and they were never able to produce a picture of myself as a newly born baby in the hospital, as opposed of dozens that they have from my both sisters. Fishy, very fishy my friends, but that's another story.

The couple that was at the dinner tonight was very nice. They live in Miami and are moving to SanFran next month (sweet!). She grew up in my home town and reminded me so much of the girls I grew up with and use to hang out with when I was a little kid. Brought a ton of great memories of those early years of my life, and made me miss her type. The type of girl that Rose-Marie was back in the days for sure, and that now that I see her with 60+ years I see the woman I would like to be with when I get that old -minus the whole "let's go to church" thing of course.

But whether is such a sweet girl like those back in my home town, or a Southern belle from the Bible Belt, or perhaps one of those awesome Euro-girls I've met along the way, the hard fact and the crude reality is that today is just me and this blog. Sad. Oh, and the four bottles of wine that we drank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home