Saturday, September 03, 2005

Morning Meeting

Early Friday morning, after a nice two day trip down in Charleston, I found myself in the same meeting room with Linda, one of my co-workers. As we were sitting across the round table, I'm reading some documents that I have on my lap while she does the same with some papers scattered on the table. She's trying to make some small talk with me but my answers are short, monosyllables most of them, not really bothering to answer or to comment on whatever she's saying.

Along those lines she asks me if I have some awesome plans for this holiday weekend, and if I remember well I answered that didn't have anything special in my mind. Then, without loosing thrust she goes and ask me "Why don't you go and visit that girl of yours who moved back to Germany?"

My ears turned red as they always do when the blood starts pumping and I raised my eyes to meet hers, that were still buried in her documents. When she didn't get an answer from me she rises her head to see if I'd listened to her question only to meet my eyes looking across the table at her like Superman right before using his x-ray vision.



That is non of your business - I said. And after letting that sink for a second I asked her back "Did I make myself completely clear?". Note how carefully I used my words so that there's no doubt in her little mind that whatever I do or whoever I see is clearly not her fucking business. She dives her head in the documents on the table mumbling some sort of answer, and proceeds to sit quiet as a tomb until whoever we were meeting finally gives us the honor to show up.

I seriously didn't see that coming, to be honest with you. I've told only one of my co-workers about my last relationship and I wasn't expecting him to spread the word. But if that little story reached Linda, I bet you every single soul on my floor knows even more than I do about my love life.

I never talk about my relationships with people outside my inner circle of friends, and even with my friends I'm very careful on what I share and what I don't. One of the most important things in a relationship is the privacy that you have in that little universe that you form with your girlfriend, and keeping people updated on it is not a wise move. There's nothing like turning into a sex freak or a sweet guy or coming up with cheesy lines and gentleman's manners that exists only in that universe, but only between the two of us, only in our very own world of words, signs, touches and alike; a language that only we two can talk and decipher. Not having to worry that whatever you do or say in the intimacy of your relationship is going to end up in the front page of "The Watercooler Times" is key in any relationship.

Once you start sharing insights of your relationship with friends or other people, is like turning a revolving door where they feel like they have a said on whatever you do, how you do it and even more so some just think that they should go ahead and just do you a favor bringing up suggestions, God forbid judgments. Is not that I have things crystal clear when I'm head over feet in a relationship, and for that matter I really don't have a very tight grip on everyday life, but if I'm going to screw it up I'd love to take full blame and responsibility for my actions; the buck stops with me.

Looking forward for Tuesday to tell my co-worker about that little chat I had with Linda. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home