Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Bittersweet

Two of my co-workers were discussing the Bible today and talking about humility and blah blah blah and I was, together with David, listening to them on the sidelines not really willing to say anything. Then they started talking about "The Passion of the Christ" and one of them confessed that he had the movie but exchanged it in some video place for another. The other guy said that it just wasn't possible that he had done such thing and asked him what movie he got in return; the other guy struggled to answer for one two many seconds and I stepped in and said "Jenna Jameson uncensored!". David and I together with both the Xtian guys burst in laughs; because as I told them making with my hands some sort of list on the air "seriously dude, this shit is like first God, then Jesus and then breathing right on his neck is Jenna Jameson when it comes to popularity in this country". More laughs and David told me that from today on I was his favorite person in the building.

That was a sweet moment today with plenty of laughs.

After that I was walking down the hall with David on my way to my cubicle and I asked him about his mum. Don't ask me why but I met his mom few months back when she came to the office building; a very nice lady. One day later on I asked him to say "hi" to her and then she sent me some cookies some other day; a nice lady indeed. David is a nice dude, a very calm guy who speaks very softly and who's quite young, maybe 20 or 21 at most and still going to school. While we were walking down the hall this afternoon after the situation with the Xtian co-workers, I asked him how his mom was doing and his answer almost makes my heart stops: My mom -he said, is dying.

He explained to me that she has lupus, the systemic type and that she's not doing any good. She can't leave her house now and her body is not responding as expected to her medications. He told me that she'd had lupus for quite a few years now and that there had been good times and bad times; there had been hospitalizations as well as days at the beach; medicines that worked well, some that didn't and some that did and then didn't. I know a bit about lupus because the mom of one of my younger sister's friend passed away due to that and my boss' wife also has it.

I didn't know what to tell him today, so I listened to him. He seemed pretty calm and well aware of the situation, perhaps more than he showed to me, but faced with a situation like that the best thing to do is to listen. I would've liked to say more things to him or to his mom but seriously, what can I say to make things better or sweeter, ah?

But perhaps I could do a little something: On my way back home this evening I bought some chocolate chip cookies for his mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home