Tuesday, April 26, 2005

A bit Hungry

Jean-Francois is a Gentleman at the tableI eat like a pig. I mean, even though I eat a lot, I do have very good manners when I'm sitting at the table: for example, I don't talk with my mouth full and hate when people do it; I don't chew with my mouth wide open so that you can see what's going down my throat; I don't bite the bread, I take a little piece, spread a bit of butter on top, and then eat it; if I'm going to drink water or soda or whatever, first I wipe my mouth, and then I drink it; I always keep the knife clean and needless to say, I don't leak it; and when I'm done I put both my knife and fork in the "finish" position among other good manners. But still I eat like a pig, meaning "I eat a LOT".

Back home while I was growing up I always filled my plate twice, and if it was something that I really liked, even three times. My grandmother was always happy to invite me to eat because I'll eat every single thing that she would put on my plate, and then will ask for more. My parents where also kind of happy to see such a healthy boy, and even though I was always in trouble and they were giving me hell for everything, when it came to eating a lot, they didn't mind; and were even amazed to see how their little red haired boy could eat so much and not gain weight. My sisters were always on a diet, which was fine, as it meant more food for me. I recall this one time that I was invited to a friend's house to spend the night, and the next day for lunch I ate my "average" portion; years later my friend "confess" to me over some beers that his Mom got upset because I wiped out everything and then asked for more. What can I say, I was a hungry child.

But now I'm a man and I'm still hungry as hell. And even though I used to enjoy eating all that, now is not that fun anymore. I still like to eat a lot, absolutely, but now that I'm on my own I am the one who have to cook and pay the grocery bill, and that shit ain't cheap my friends. I could be saving big bucks if I was to eat half of what I normally eat. However, I know that my metabolism is going to slow down at some point in the future and a little belly will pop up, and then I'll miss those good old days when I had all my hair and could eat anything.

The red haired guy is here... start cooking!I would say that my secret to not gain weight is that I don't eat sweets -I'm sweet enough. I don't care for sugar in my coffee; or whipped cream, or ice cream, cookies, cheese cakes, chocolate, candy, croissants, muffins, key lime pie, pecan pie, apple cobbler and so on. When I go to a coffee shop to get my caffeine and I see by the counter all those sweets, not a little tiny desire crosses my mind to get any of that. My trips to the Chinese buffet down the street from my condo are a different story: when the thin chinese manager/owner sees me walking in, he shouts to the kitchen to go ahead and replenish everything 'cause "that red haired guy from the condominiums is here and the bastard looks fucking hungry". I pile up on everything but sweets, maybe a little bit of fruit at the end, when there's pretty much nothing left, cheap bastards.

Tonight for dinner I had an order of cinnamon sticks from Pizza Hut, perhaps the only sweet shit that I eat. I had it together with a glass and half of whole milk, fuck that skim milk that tastes like water. But it gave me a headache, actually made the headache that I've had all day worst. Maybe is that I've been mixing all this drugs for the allergies lately, trying to make a cocktail that will let me sleep at night and feel like a champion during the day, and it somehow backfired. Well, just to make sure that there's enough chemicals in my system in order to finish me off once and for all, I just had an alka-seltzer.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that I saw Diana today and I'm gona pick her for school tomorrow. So simple, yet so complicated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home