Sunday, March 27, 2005

Splenda equals Splendid?

This is BULLSHITIf you knew that you were going to pass away later that day, would you still use Splenda in your morning coffee instead of regular sugar?

When I drink coffee at home I don't use sugar; in Starbucks I put one whole bag of Sugar in the Raw; in Caribou Coffee the same; in Borders, no matter what and how much you add to it, it still tastes like mop water. At my mechanic's, I always decline when they offer me a cup of coffee -unlike wine, it doesn't get better with time. At my friend Angela's, back in the days, they didn't offered me coffee and I didn't ask for it either, because there's nothing more horrible than instant coffee in a cold mug.

I used Splenda in my coffee few moons back at Barnes&Noble. I felt like doing something crazy that day, something never heard of before, something to break with the routine of the day and to add spice and excitement to my existence. I wanted to go wild, crazy, running nude and screaming like a mad man down the non-fiction alley. Wanted to start a fire on the corner that holds the paper back books, I'm sure they'd have gone up in smoke faster than the hardcover ones. I felt like picking up magazines and putting them back on the shelves randomly. But I settle for using Splenda in my coffee that day.

I used one of those tiny little yellow bags in my 16oz Cafe au Lait, stirring it with a plastic straw in order to avoid the wood after taste of the stirring sticks. And as I love the smell of cinnamon, I added a little bit on top. And after the first sip, I regretted it like hell.

I mean, I regretted the whole Splenda bullshit. I didn't throw away my coffee because I had already paid for it and I was in desperate need of some caffeine. My levels of energy were kind of low and if I was gona stay reading magazines for free for the next hour or so, I certainly needed a shot in the arm. Shit, but that needle seemed more like a railway nail going through my arm to me! How could someone poison a cup of coffee with such an evil sugar substitute, and then drink it? I'd rather be fat and happy with sugar in my coffee, than thin and bitter having to use such a rat poison everyday.

And to be honest, if I knew that I was going to pass away later on the day, perhaps the last thing I would think of is how sweet my coffee is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home