Sunday, January 16, 2005

Dilemma

Hiting the slopesI have a dilemma, and don't know what to do. I'm planning to spend $100 next week and even though there's several options (50 cups of coffee, 1GB memory card, iPod Shuffle, 5 books, 100 items at the dollar store, 20 visits to the Chinese buffet down the street from my place, 3 bottles of HPNOTIQ, 2.5 bottles of Bombay Sapphire, a bag of weed, 300 bars of Hershey's Milk Chocolate, one night out in downtown drinking and getting all fucked up, 38 postcards of Charlotte sent to anywhere in the world, 1 shirt in Banana Republic, 3 shirts in GAP, 5 shirts in Old Navy, a new watch from Costco, 1 pair of shoes from Norstroom, 55.6 gallons of gasoline, 9,000 minutes for phone calls to my country, 1 new Nokia cell phone, and so on. . .), there's two options that rank as number one and two.

Actually they rank as number 2 and three, being the first option to just leave the money sitting in my very slim bank account, and that, without any doubt, will be the most intelligent decision for those greens. Those $100 could pay for 5 months of monthly service and other charges and fees that my bank charged me last month. Or maybe by keeping those one hundred greens in my 3-years old account could help me reach and breach the minimum amount needed in order to avoid those charges. Not taken a decision is a decision; and sometimes the best decision.

Oh but I want to go and spend money and nobody -not even my self- is going to stop me!

The thing is that I was -actually I am- thinking about going skiing tomorrow Monday. I'm not working, so I was planning to get my snow blades in the morning, have a very generous breakfast, and at around noon leave for Winterplace in West Virginia. I'll get there around 3-4 PM, so that I have plenty of time to hang out around, do some people watch, drink some water, perhaps eat something and get ready for the night skiing. One of the options that the mountain has to offer is to ski from 5-10 PM, for a mere $25 in the off season. There's plenty of artificial light, few people around the chairlifts, and for sure all those amateurs will be at the lodge all sored, drinking hot cocoa and telling stories of the many falls and wrecks they had that day.

The whole trip including the snow blades, gasoline, chairlift pass and food is a bit less than $100. But just to take a round number, let's just say one hundred bucks.

This past Tuesday I was decided to take this trip and was even studying the different trials on the mountain and making plans on what crazy things to do, what to wear and so on. Until I asked myself a question that I should have not asked. If I had $100 in my pocket and could spend it either buying or doing something, what would that be?

Now, I don't quiet know.

My two options are: in one hand going skiing, and in the other doing something else with the money. I have the rest of the day to think about it. What would it be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home