Friday, December 10, 2004

"Break-Up" (?!) - Match.com (4)

Now, I do need a comment for this post. Whoever stumbles upon this corner of the internet, please, tell what you think.

Listen up: I joined match.com and contacted a girl. We exchange e-mails like for 1 month (my mom was here visiting me and I was VERY busy those days). Finally one day we went to have some coffee and you can read a post about it here. In short, we talked, and that was it. Not much chemistry, but a nice chat anyway. After that we exchange a couple more e-mails and then I didn't contact her anymore. Around 2 weeks passed and she sent me this e-mail:

Hello Jean-Francois,
Haven't heard from you in a while - just wanted to say hi. I hope you are doing well.
Well, I guess we two would not work out as a couple. But I am always looking for new friends. So if you are interested in a friendship don't hesitate to get in touch with me again.
Bye


A straight shooter, no doubt about it. To be honest with you, I felt like a breakup the first time I read it. Got pist off at the beginning, but then (and throughout the day) I've been laughing about it. Don't really know what to think. I reply to her the following:

Hey,
I'm sorry I've been "off the radar" these days. I completely agree with you, at this point I also don't see us a couple. I do believe relationships of any kind don't come in a "ready to use" package, but have to be built little by little. Curiously enough, and now that I think about it, those relationships that I enjoyed the most and in which I felt "head over feet" were with girls with whom I was "just friends" at the beginning. This life sometimes turns -and flip us over- in ways that we never thought possible.
Anyway, don't want to get too philosophical in an e-mail. You're a nice girl indeed and it will be nice to hang out with you everynow and then. Once again, sorry I was lost for so many days.
My cell is 000-000-000, maybe we can get together before you go on vacations.
c-u, Jean-Francois


I really don't know what to make out of this. And believe me, our conversation was very shallow, about our likes and dislikes, jobs, favorite colors and that shit. The e-mail really caught me by surprise. Don't really know what to make out of that.

What do you people out there think?

1 Comments:

Blogger ME! kindly said...

Okay... so, I would've thought that she was just being polite, but the email was sent so after-the-fact. Usually, if one is looking for the out they will email/leave a voicemail right after the date and say the 'friends' line. The fact that she waited a few weeks to ponder the email makes me believe that she is sincere. (or she doesn't know the rules) And you think that the conversation was shallow, but you aren't on her end. Maybe you came off as whitty and charming- good friend material.
I say stick with the emails. Keep writing to her and see if any more solid conversations arise.

And, yes, I like that you brought her a Kit-Kat. A good 'sharing' candy.

On a completely different subject... you mentioned in one of the Match.com blogs that you are Latino. Jean-Francois is French, no?

Tue Dec 14, 09:12:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home