Thursday, November 11, 2004

A Very Expensive Mitsubishi Eclipse

Even though Charlotte is known as "The Queen City", it has nothing to do with any royal treatment receiving around here. This is particularly true when it comes to buying a car and all the hassle that comes attached to it.

My first car was a burgundy Mitsubishi Eclipse, without any doubt the most expensive Eclipse in the record history of the East Coast. When I bought it from a Mexican guy, the car looked so cool that I knew it had to be mine. When I test drove it around the block, my main concerns were the quality of the sound system and the acceleration in this turbocharged version. Once I cut off the engine back in the parking lot, I smiled at him and knew that my search was over. "I got a very good deal" I said to my friends in those summer days, "this Mexican guy was asking for $2,300 and I got it for $1,700; the MBA that I'm studying is starting to pay off!" I only wished.

The first red light came out around a month later, it was the clutch pump. After that it was an oil leak; then the car didn't pass the inspection and in the same week the sound system started to malfunction. Few weeks after that a bad alternator left me in the middle of the road and right before Christmas a broken belt sent the temperature ski high. Did I also mention a tune-up in those days?

With winter hitting hard the southern US in late January 2003 came a mayor set back: an oil flow. This sent my bank account 589 bucks down; and included in that price my mechanic gave me a grim perspective on the future of the car. At that time I remember thinking "now I know I can worry about anything but those oil leaks"; I couldn't be more wrong. Right before spring I learned about the quality of the job done by my mechanic (www.precisiona.com ) on those leaks, and his so called "warranty". And talking about my mechanic (my ex-mechanic I should point out), the guy who had been taken paycheck after paycheck from me in order to fix the car, finally got on my nerves and I sent him to hell, making clear to him that I knew what his mom's profession was -I called him a "fucking son-of-a-bitch!"

The final nail on the coffin came in late summer '03 when an electrical problem sent my bank account close to the red ink and my frustration to the stratosphere. I recall that after the car broke down twice the same day, the guy from the tow company asked me while hooking up my car: "didn't we tow you early this morning?" and after seeing my biter face he added "Chill out man, the third time we let you drive the tow truck!"

With a bit more than a year of use and $2,200 in repairs I finally sold it for $1,100. It was October 2003. Once I had closed the deal on it and had the money in my pocket, the only thing I could say to that poor kid that bought it was "Enjoy it Dude, I bet you're going to have a lot of fun with it".



Here It is: The most expensive Eclipse in the History of the East Coast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home