Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Of Business, Culture and Tea

I have a part-time job as a waiter/server in a dinning room. This happens to be located on the top floor of a skyscraper somewhere in the US where I live. This dinning room is used only by few people, the top executives of a top company and their clients. All the big guys go there on regular bases, the CEO, CFO, members of the Board of Directors, and just a handful of other people. Vice Presidents? fuck'em, you have to be very high in the hierarchy to be able to use the services of the dinning room. And I, just a server who happens to have an MBA and who happens to work there. Just for the record, I don't see anything and I don't hear anything.

Few weeks ago a guy who workd in the international department, maybe the head of the department or close to it, took a group of chinese guests there for lunch. They come every now and then, have a great lunch with an espectacular view and talk about business - little bit. This one time lunch went fine, they ate like pigs appetizer -some of'em two appetizers, entree and dessert -choices are key lime pie, pecan pie, mango or strawberry sorbet or strawberries. On top of that we always offer coffee, decaf and hot tea. Damn, you can't ask for more after that.

When the time to offer coffee and tea came, one of the chinese guys asked me for "hot tea". I follow our procedure and went to the station, took a little pitcher of hot water over a plate with a little doily, grab the tea box and head for the table. Once I got there I putted the little pitcher down, leaned and offer ouir guest all the variety of teas that we carry -8 all together. This guy looked at me puzzle as hell; like what the fuck is going on?

In China, when going to a restaurant the first thing that they serve you is tea. Just like here in the west they put salt and pepper on the table, in China they always serve you tea. Is a tradition and at the same time is to welcome you to the restaurant. Therefore they just give you the fucking tea whether you like it or not, the traditional chinese tea which might be "hong Cha" -red tea, also known as black tea- or green tea. In other words, plain tea, like tub water if there's any comparision.

The host seeing that the chinese guy was kind of puzzle went ahead and said "well, you know, in the west we have options for everything, that is the escence of democracy... do you know what am I talking about?" and before he could say anythig he just brush it all and said, "give him some green tea, I'm sure you'll like it". Not only this guy -top executive I should say- lecture him on democracy and choices in one second, but pretty much step on him regardless of what his interests where. Does it ring any bell?

I would say lack of understanding of a different culture and the willing to just impose his will. No, it wans't GW if you're wondering, but hey, you have to learn from everything in life, don't you?

PS. I think I'm going to have to buy a new laptop...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home