Saturday, July 24, 2004

Bye Grandma

This morning my Grandmother passed away. 90 years old she was. Born in a whole different time, in a strange culture to me, almost a whole different world. Had 5 brothers and sisters; she was the last one. She had 2 children; my uncle and my Mom. Being my uncle gone almost a decade ago to cancer; for my Mom her nuclear family is gone.
I've never had a close relationship with my family, though Grandma was very cool. Always trying to feed my infinite hunger and always trying to wash out the freckles in my elbows -"it's not dirt Grandma, those are freckles for God's sake!" Everytime my family gets together, that story was a must; not funny to me at all.
She grew old and her body started to ache. Lost her vision a couple of years back and started to depend on every body for such simple things as going to the restroom. Being always very independent, that was a mayor set back for her. With all her friends passing away, she grew lonely -even though she was sorrounded by a nurse, maid, my Mom and my sisters. The last year her life was eating and sleeping; couldn't walk and had to be moved in a wheel chair. Last few weeks couldn't even eat and had to be feed through a probe. Sad to see her like that.
In a situation like that everybody suffers... now she's gone but she's still with us. Still with me. When I went out to college I remember her giving me a little stamp of the virgin Mary. It went with me around the world to Asia, Russia and Europe and back. Certainly that kept me out of trouble and doing good in life.
Thanks Grandma for everything; all the love that you gave me; for receiving me in your apartment everytime I was tired of my own house; for all that food and all those stories that you shared with me over the years. I can see you smiling down on us; together with all those who have left. I'll see you whenever my time arrives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home